New Horizons Counselling Psychotherapy offers a secure and peaceful place where you can express, learn, grow and begin to create the changes you long for. As your counsellor, it is an opportunity for me to meet you and be invited into your inner world as you go through your transformative journey to being the best you can be. Counselling is completely confidential.
For as long as I can remember I have wanted to help people. I have always found peace and fulfilment in listening to people and encouraging them, especially in hard times. Then, through the years I discovered my passions lay in learning and understanding what motivates and drives us and how we can clear the mental blocks we picked up during our lives. And so a career as a Counsellor was perfect! Counselling allows me to do what I’m most passionate about – learn, grow and guide people through their own journey towards a better life.
As a Counsellor, I am most passionate about teaching life skills and daily practices that bring sustained inner peace and long term success in every area of life, especially in relationships.
I have had extensive experience working person to person and online with children, individuals and couples.
I have helped many people in the following areas of specialty:
- Grief and Loss
- Self esteem
- Personal development
- Sexual Abuse
Experience and Qualifications
I bring 20 years of experience working as a Counsellor/Psychotherapist both person to person, virtual and also telephone. I am a Clinical Member of the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA). I was a long standing member of the Counselling Association of South Australia (now closed) and served on the Executive Committee in many roles including Membership Convenor, Conference Convenor and Treasurer.
With this experience I hold qualifications in:
- Bachelor Degree in Counselling
- Advanced Diploma in Counselling and Communication
- Diploma of Counselling and Communication
- Certified Gottman Educator
My ongoing Professional Development includes:
- 10 hours of ongoing Professional Supervision per year as required by PACFA and CASA
- Talking about Suicide – Dr David Webb
- Circle of Trust Retreat
- CASA Master Class Series “Developing Excellence in Relationship Counselling”
- CASA 2012 Annual Conference “Signs of the Times”
- The Relationship Research Institute – Certification in “Bringing Baby Home”
- CASA “Fear Factor” Overcoming fear and anxiety
- Bower College – “Dealing with Betrayal in the Couple Relationship”
- Sand Tray Institute of New Mexico – “Sand Tray Therapy”
- CASA “Sex, Commitment and Betrayal”
- Dr Colin Benjamin – “The Future of Counselling”
- Diana Collett – “Power and Rank”
- CASA – “Transpersonal Practice and Art Therapy”
- Dr Jenny O’Dea & Maria Scicchitano “Body Beautiful”
- Dr Keith Miller – “A Personal Male Journey”
- Ben Ryan – “Men Can Do Multi-Emotional Tasking”
I believe in the value of providing unconditional positive regard, respect, encouragement, confidentiality and a sense of warmth and safety to all my clients.
I believe we learn our coping skills in childhood. This means that often, we are living in the present, but acting as though it were our past. Often we don’t even know that we are doing it and wonder why life keeps doing the same things to us.
How often do we hear ourselves say: “This is always happening to me”. The thoughts and feelings that affect us most are the ones we are unaware of. Counselling is about learning about the things we do and don’t do that do not serve us, but also why.
We can break free from the past and live our dreams. Counselling is not only about resolving our problems but building a bright future.
More about me?
When I’m not Counselling I love Latin Dancing, long walks, meditating and reading. I am most relaxed in the company of my family doing simple things like cooking and eating together. I love pottering around the house, prettying it up and always appreciate time with my dear friends.