Matters discussed with counsellors are confidential. However, there are some situations in which counsellors have a duty of care to override confidentiality; these are:
- when a person is at risk of harming themselves or another person
- When a child is at risk of abuse
- When the courts subpoena a client’s file
Under the above situations, counsellors may have to inform another appropriate person or authority. Clients will be advised of these matters at the time or at the earliest opportunity.
Counsellors are required to record information about their work with their clients. This information is securely kept in files. You have the right to read or obtain information from your file if you wish, however clients’ files remain the property of New Horizons Counselling & Psychotherapy.
Counsellors are also required to discuss their work with their supervisor, this is to ensure quality of service.
When you e-mail us:
- we will record your e-mail address
- we will only use your e-mail address for the purpose for which you provided it
- it will not be added to a mailing list without your express permission
- we will not use your e-mail address for any other purpose
- we will not disclose it without your consent except where New Horizons Counselling may be required by law to disclose certain information
Should you decide to use an online form:
- • we will record your name, e-mail address, street address and telephone number if provided by you
- • we will only use this information for the purpose for which you provided it
- • the information will not be added to a mailing list unless you specifically request for it to be added
- • we will not disclose this information without your consent except where New Horizons Counselling may be required by law to disclose certain information